I worked before the vacation on something I committed to cvs today which shouldn't have taken more than two weeks. It's very low-level work and quite intricate. Many variables play a role. I usually don't like debuggers for anything but looking at core files, but in these situations they are fine.
This is where gdb should be useful. But once again, it's completely useless. Nothing at all works. I don't know how many times I've fixed it to allow debugging ld.so. This doesn't mean that anybody else cares. So the whole job took much longer since we were back to printf-debugging. Not even core dumps were useful, so even tracking down the backtrace of a segfault takes time. So I finally fixed the last (bigger) bug on 12/31 at 11pm.
But now we'll have some nice new features. And we can replace some horrible, never really working programs with something which is more reliable, faster, bi-arch-safe, works on all architectures. More once this code is released.